The Grandmaster's Palace is found in the heart of Valletta. Aside from serving as the Office of the President, the Palace has also until recently served as the House of Representatives. Construction on the Palace began during the rule of Grandmaster Jean de La Cassiere (1572-1581). Subsequent Grandmasters continued to develop the Palace until it took its current shape towards the middle of the 18th Century. After the French rule of 1798-1800, the Palace was taken over by the British administration and served as the Governor's Palace. The Palace served as the Seat of Malta's first Constitutional Parliament in 1921.
The Throne Room, originally known as the Grand Council Room (or Sala del Maggior Consiglio) was built during the rule of Grandmaster La Cassiere. This room was later used to welcome ambassadors and high dignitaries who would visit the island. The Hall is currently used by the President of Malta during State functions.
The frescoes decorating the upper walls of the hall, painted by Matteo Perez d'Aleccio (1547-1616), represent main incidents that took place during the Great Siege of 1565. The coat of arms of Grandmaster Jead de Valette (1557-1568) that is at the entrance was painted by Ġużeppi Calì, one of Malta's most renowned 20th Century artists.
Formal attire (dark lounge suit/formal cocktail dress) is required at this dinner. Anybody not abiding by this dress code may be refused entry.